Media Consumption Amongst Over-55s - UK - August 2010
As the UK population ages, this report takes an in-depth look at the media consumption and attitudes towards media of over-55s, covering their use of TV, radio, newspapers, magazines and the internet. It aims to show how the media preferences and habits of over-55s differ from the general population and how products and services can be tailored to suit them. It also aims to identify where, in the context of commercial media, advertisers can most effectively target the over-55 market.Over-55s feel excluded by many advertising and marketing campaigns, with 41% agreeing that “most advertising and marketing isn’t relevant to people in my age group”, compared to 30% of the population overall.
- The key reading material for over-55s in newspapers and magazines is news/current affairs, TV guides, social/human interest stories, competitions/crosswords and games, business and finance, personal finance, weekend supplements, humour, travel, columnists and cookery/gardening features. Over-55s show above-average interest in all these areas.
- Over-55s are more likely than the overall internet population to research holidays and travel online, to use financial advice sites and price-comparison sites. Almost a quarter of over-55 web users have done family history research in the last three months.
- Over-55 internet users are slightly ‘ahead of the curve’ when it comes to online banking, travel purchases and most other e-commerce products. However, they are still lagging behind in their use of online grocery delivery services.
- Over-55s are far less likely than younger consumers to reduce their use of traditional media as a result of time spent online. Nevertheless, a third of over-55 internet users do say they use less traditional media – these consumers are most likely to be male, ABC1 and not yet fully retired.
- An ‘entertainment-averse’ 44% of over-55s use the internet for practical purposes only, compared to 27% of the overall population, while 43% of over-55s use the web for entertainment compared to 68% overall. ABC1 surfers are the most practical.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.