Medical Equipment (Industrial Report) - UK - December 2014
“Impending new EU regulations covering the industry are likely to change the landscape for manufacturers. Companies will need to accommodate an increased burden of compliance, which is set to involve far greater scrutiny of the product supply chain.”
– Ben Harris, Industrial Analyst
This report answers the following key questions:
- How can manufacturers maximise sales in a climate of constrained public expenditure?
- What sectors of the medical equipment market are expected to provide the best growth prospects?
- How will impending regulatory changes in the EU impact manufacturers of medical equipment?
- How can manufacturers best respond to the threat from new market entrants from the technology sector?
For the purposes of this report, medical equipment is defined as appliances and instruments used for medical, surgical, dental or veterinary purposes. Data on medical supplies is also included in the report, which are predominantly disposable, single-use, high consumption items used in performing medical procedures. The following segmentation, used in this report, is based on available government data.
The medical equipment sector includes the following:
- X-ray equipment. This group includes apparatus based on the use of X-rays and apparatus based on the use of alpha, beta or gamma radiations, both including radiography and radiotherapy apparatus. Also included are X-ray tubes and X-ray, high tension and magnetic resonance generators, control panels and desks, screens and specialised furniture for X-ray work.
- Electro-medical equipment. This group of appliances consists of electrocardiographs and other electro-diagnostic apparatus, including apparatus for functional exploratory examination or for checking physiological parameters, scintigraphic, ultrasonic scanning and magnetic resonance imaging apparatus. Also included are ultraviolet or infrared apparatus used in medical, surgical or veterinary sciences.
- Sterilizers for medical, surgical or laboratory use.
- Syringes and needles. This group consists of syringes, with or without needles, tubular metal needles, needles for sutures and needles, catheters and cannulas used in medical, surgical, dental or veterinary sciences.
- Therapy appliances, including mechano-therapy appliances, massage apparatus and psychological aptitude-testing apparatus, as well as ozone therapy, oxygen therapy, aerosol therapy, artificial respiration or other therapeutic respiration apparatus, including appliances used instead of manual methods of artificial respiration, oxygen therapy appliances proper, iron lungs and similar equipment. Also included in this group are breathing appliances and gas masks, such as anti-radiation or anti-contamination protective suits incorporating breathing apparatus.
- Orthopaedic equipment. This group includes artificial joints as well as orthopaedic and other fracture appliances, such as made-to-measure footwear. Also included are artificial teeth, crowns or bridges (made from plastics, metal or porcelain), including metal posts for fixing crowns and crowns fitted with metal posts and other dental fittings, such as dentures and part dentures, metal crowns, cast tin and stainless steel bars, as well as orthodontics fittings, gum-shields and bite raising appliances. This group also includes artificial limbs, eyes and other parts of the body, such as tubes of synthetic fabric for replacing blood vessels and heart valves, hearing aids, heart pacemakers, speech aids, electronic blind aids, implants to support or replace the chemical function of organs, colostomy products and other appliances, which are worn or carried or implanted in the body to compensate for a defect or disability.
- Furniture, including dentists’ chairs and other medical, surgical or veterinary furniture as well as wheelchairs.
- Other equipment. This group includes instruments and appliances for measuring blood-pressure (such as sphygmomanometers, tensiometers and oscillometers), endoscopes, renal dialysis equipment, diathermic apparatus (including ultrasonic), transfusion apparatus, anaesthetic apparatus and instruments, ultrasonic lithotripsy instruments and scintigraphic apparatus. Also included are ophthalmic instruments and appliances, such as corneal trephines, keratomes, ophthalmoscopes, orthoptic or sight-testing apparatus, electrically heated compresses and electro-magnets. Furthermore, this group includes dental drill engines, whether or not combined on a single base with other dental equipment, as well as instruments and appliances used in dental sciences.
Data for parts and accessories for medical equipment are included in the appropriate categories. The sterilizers sector includes equipment also destined for laboratory use.
The medical supplies sector includes the following:
- Dressings, including adhesive dressings or similar articles and non-adhesive dressings, such as wadding, gauze, bandages and dressings, both impregnated or coated with pharmaceutical substances.
- Sutures, consisting of sterile surgical catgut, similar suture materials and tissue adhesives for surgical wound closure, laminaria and laminaria tents, as well as absorbable, surgical or dental haemostatics.
- Other supplies. This group includes blood-grouping reagents, opacifying preparations for X-ray examinations and diagnostic reagents designed to be administered to the patient. Also included are dental cements and other dental fillings and bone reconstruction cements, first-aid boxes and kits and contact lenses.
Take a look inside a sample report
Mintel’s consumer reports deliver insight and expert analysis into key consumer trends and behaviour in your marketplace, in addition to an overview of the market data and key brands. Mintel’s consumer reports provide you with easily digestible information to guide your future innovation and move your business forward.Download now
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.