Men's Fashion Lifestyles - UK - April 2011
The menswear market appears to be gradually recovering as we enter 2011, with the sector showing a slight increase in sales. Much of the growth, nevertheless, has been driven by higher average selling prices as a result of VAT rises and inflation.
- Mintel expects to see a slight recovery as the men’s fashion sector appears to be the first to emerge from the recession.
- An increase in average selling prices has driven growth in menswear, while volume sales are down.
- Supermarkets have become the most popular outlets for buying menswear, with nearly four in ten (38%) men shopping there, rising to almost half of 45-54s.
- Over six in ten (62%) 16-24s like to dress in a fashionable way, which is significantly higher than the average of just over four in ten men (43%).
- Growing numbers of men are choosing to buy fewer items but better-quality clothes, with more than one in five (22%) investing in quality garments this year, compared with one in eight in 2010.
- Male consumers remain cautious in 2011, with one in six shopping in less expensive stores than 12 months ago.
- Over-55s feel ignored by fashion retailers, with more than half of this age group believing that most clothes retailers target only young people.
- Replacement buying dominates as almost half of men mainly buy new clothes to replace old or worn-out garments.
- Several high street retailers such as TM Lewin, Reiss and Moss Bros, have introduced a made-to-measure shirt and suit service as tailoring has come back into fashion.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.