Men's Grooming - US - September 2010
The US men’s grooming market, as sold through food, drug and mass stores, will benefit from a growing male population between 2010 and 2015. As most population growth will occur among senior men—who are less likely than younger men to use a range of grooming products—grooming brands must make the most of the increasing number of senior men by aggressively marketing to them. Marketers will also be severely challenged by the poor economic climate’s impact on spending power, which for some men is likely curbing budgets for all but the most essential grooming items. Historical trended data from Experian/Simmons also shows that use of a wide range of grooming items remains unchanged between 2004 and 2010, further challenging brands to encourage higher penetration. This report offers in-depth coverage of these factors, as well as close analysis of the following:
- The role of unemployment and decreasing median household income on the market
- The high penetration of deodorant and shaving cream, but the much lower use of an array of other products, including skincare and haircare
- The role of younger men in the market, who are more likely to be concerned with personal appearance and who (thanks to targeted advertising) have helped deodorant and shaving brands such as Axe grow sales significantly, while most other brands in these segments stagnate or decline
- The importance of innovation in the market, evidenced by the impressive growth of deodorant products such as Gillette Clear Shield and Speed Stick StainGuard that reduce yellow stains on shirts
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.