Mobile Phone and Tablet Accessories - US - May 2012
Mobile phones have become an essential tool that U.S. consumers rely on to navigate their lives, and following the breakthrough success of the iPad, tablets have taken on a similar role for millions of owners. Given how personal these devices are, it’s not surprising that many consumers seek to customize and supplement them with accessories, ranging from basic cases, headsets and power cables to high-end stereo docks that can cost more than the phones that plug into them. Furthermore, as smartphones and tablets gain increasing levels of computing horsepower, they are also being used as controllers for a growing range of peripheral devices—such as toys, health monitors and even home automation systems.
This report will provide an overview of the fast-growing phone and tablet accessory market, analyzing the key trends and drivers that impact this market including the following:
- Since tablet accessory sales typically are not reported separately from PC accessory sales, market size data is provided for mobile phone accessories only. Historic and projected wholesale (manufacturer to retailer) revenues for mobile phone accessories only will be provided for 2006 through 2016
- The phone and tablet accessory market is highly fragmented and diverse, which is not surprising given the broad range of products within the category. This report will discuss some of the largest as well as the most innovative players, and provide perspectives on the overall landscape and what it takes to succeed
- Mobile phone and tablet accessories can be purchased through many online as well as offline retailers, including general interest stores such as mass merchandisers, consumer electronics chains and stores and kiosks focused on selling mobile phones and plans. An overview of the types of retailers in this space will be provided, along with key trends as well as data on where consumers purchase
- Key factors driving the mobile phone and tablet accessory market will be discussed, including the massive growth in smartphone and tablet penetration; changes in consumer usage behavior; and the ongoing platform battle between Android and iOS, amongst others
- Using proprietary Mintel survey data, this report reviews the demographics of consumer ownership of both mobile phone and tablet accessories by category. Additional insights will include channels for purchasing accessories; prevalence of gifting; use of accessories, and attitudes/opinions regarding these accessories
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.