Mobile Phones - US - February 2012
The convenience of communication on the go led millions of American consumers to adopt mobile phones, and as these devices have gained power and features they are playing an increasingly important role in people’s lives. Cellphone ownership has now reached 92% in the U.S. according to Experian Simmons data, a large number of consumers are adopting multipurpose smartphones and a growing number are relying heavily on phones as their primary way to make calls and even connect to the web.
These trends have helped fuel continued growth in the $39.5 billion mobile phone industry. The industry is extremely competitive, with a number of well-funded global players fighting for dominance. Maintaining a leading position is further challenged by the rapid upgrade cycle seen in the U.S.—where consumers have grown accustomed to swapping out phones quite quickly thanks to carrier subsidies—as well as a complex ecosystem where manufacturers must partner with carriers, software platform companies and even app developers to create successful offerings.
Mintel’s report will help companies navigate the many changing trends and drivers impacting the mobile phone market, discussing the following issues among others:
- What factors are driving industry growth given near-universal penetration of mobile phones today?
- What technologies and features are encouraging consumers to make upgrades and move to smartphones?
- How is the changing carrier landscape impacting the mobile phone market?
- How can manufacturers establish their own relationship with consumers given that carriers control much of their ongoing engagement and also typically drive the upgrade cycle?
- What opportunities remain for manufacturers to upsell consumers to smartphones?
- Are any opportunities still available for manufacturers to convert new customers?
- What are consumers using phones for today?
- How important are basic calling features today, and how much are consumers using advanced features like multimedia playback, app downloads and 3D?
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.