Nail Color and Care - US - January 2013
“The nail color and care category has experienced strong growth since 2007, with growth forecast through 2017. However, the industry will face challenges as the category becomes more competitive and saturated. New products are critical to category growth, but reaching out to growing segments like multiculturals and older women will be essential in maintaining the momentum currently being enjoyed by the category.”
– Shannon Romanowski, Beauty & Personal Care Analyst
Some questions answered in this report include:
- Growth in the nail care category has been very strong over recent years, but as the category becomes more competitive, how can current momentum be sustained?
- The nail category benefited from the weak economy, but as levels of disposable income begin to increase and confidence in the economy improves, how will the at-home nail market respond?
- Consumers are connecting with brands and retailers outside of the traditional in-store experience. What role will technology play in the nail color and care category?
The nail color and care category benefited from the economic recession as women reined in spending and turned to affordable indulgences like at-home nail care. The category has grown by roughly 72% since 2007 with sales expected to reach $2.5 billion by the end of 2012. Nail polish is accessible to many women and offers them the opportunity to indulge in beauty and fashion trends without spending a lot of money. In addition, the category has experienced strong momentum due to product innovations that allow women to replicate salon services at home, like gel manicures, as well as product launches including special effect polishes, nail art, and nail strips.
The affordability and accessibility of nail products combined with new product innovations have generated strong consumer interest in the category, with momentum expected to continue through 2017.
. This report covers the U.S. market for nail color and care products and includes products specifically intended for use on the nails, not the hands or other parts of the body. Mintel defines the nail color and care market as follows:
- Nail polishes (includes clear and colored products)
- Nail treatments (i.e., nail strengtheners)
- Artificial nails (i.e., nail tip kits, press-on nails, and acrylic nails)
- Nail tools and implements (i.e., cuticle trimmers, nail clippers, and nail files)
- Nail polish removers (includes both acetone and non-acetone polish removers)
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.