New and Used Motorcycles - UK - January 2010
- Although there are only 1.16 million motorcycles and scooters in use compared with 30.3 million cars, the number of motorcycles in use has increased at a faster rate of 71% between 1998 and 2008, compared with a 24% increase in the number of cars.
- Motorcycle ownership and usage reached a peak in 1960 when 1.58 million machines were in use and 10 billion kilometres were travelled by motorcycle. Motorcycle ownership and usage then fell but is rising again although the mileage ridden is not reaching the same levels as before.
- Motorcycles and scooters have declined in use as a means of regular daily transport and particularly for larger machines, which account for the bulk of the market, their use is more related to leisure rather than daily transport.
- As usage shifts from transport to leisure, spending on motorcycles has shifted from essential to more of a discretionary spend. This means spending on motorcycles competes with other areas of discretionary leisure spend.
- While only 6% of all adults currently own a motorcycle or scooter, 18% of all adults are lapsed or former owners. Furthermore, 12% of adults are lapsed or former owners who would like to own a motorcycle or scooter again and these present the main opportunity to increase sales in the future.
- Even a significant proportion of people who have never owned a motorcycle or scooter before at 13%, like the idea of owning one. Unlike lapsed owners, non-owners who like the idea of motorcycle or scooter ownership tend to be younger and under the age of 35 with a high proportion aged 16-24.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.