Nightwear - UK - August 2010
Over eight in ten (83%) adults wear something to sleep in, according to Mintel’s consumer research. Despite this, nightwear continues to be largely ignored by many retailers, with little change in the offer over the last few years. Pyjamas remain the most popular bed attire, with over four in ten (42%) adults wearing them as nightwear. While demand for pyjamas has soared over the last ten years, there has been little product innovation.
What we have found out:
- The overall nightwear market grew steadily, rising by 9.2% over the last five years to reach £476 million in 2010, fuelled by growth in the women’s sleepwear sector.
- While Marks & Spencer remains the most popular nightwear retailer for both men and women, both value retailers and supermarkets are increasing their share of the market as more than one in ten consumers (13%) wears inexpensive bed attire.
- More than eight in ten adults (83%), equivalent to 42.6 million people, wear some form of nightwear to bed, with pyjamas continuing to be the most popular choice.
- Most people need their bodies to be at a comfortable temperature in order to fall asleep, with four in ten people (39%) wanting to sleep in attire that keeps them cool and fresh, while more than three in ten (31%) prefer something warm and snug.
- Only one in ten consumers buys nightwear on impulse, while nearly half of adults (48%) only buy new sleepwear to replace old items. The challenge for manufacturers is to create new forms of engagement to encourage shoppers to purchase nightwear more frequently.
- A number of nightwear manufacturers in overseas markets have spotted the potential to target consumers’ temperature-related concerns by implementing intelligent fibres into their designs that regulate body temperature and help to reduce pain.
- A third of people, equivalent to 17 million adults, look for nightwear that is suitable for wearing around the house. Loungewear is one of the main growth markets within nightwear and many retailers have spotted this potential and are planning to launch dedicated loungewear ranges this autumn.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.