Nut-based Spreads and Sweet Spreads - US - March 2015
“Product innovation by way of added nutrition, natural ingredients, and new flavors, combined with a focus on key demographics, may help boost category sales, especially within the sweet spreads segment.”
– Amanda Topper, Food Analyst
This report answers the following questions:
- What can be done to revitalize the sweet spreads segment?
- Where are there innovation opportunities?
- Which demographics should be an area of focus?
The nut-based spreads and sweet spreads category grew from 2009-14, mostly due to sales of nut-based spreads. While these products continue to be household staples, consumers are demanding more in terms of product innovation. Preferences for natural ingredients, added nutrition, and less sugar should be areas of focus for manufacturers.
Looking forward, category growth will stem from manufacturers’ ability to create these types of spreads, while also focusing on key audiences, including Millennials, Hispanics, and households with children who over index in purchase or are more likely to be buying more spreads this year compared to last.
Mintel provides a comprehensive analysis of the following factors that have the greatest potential to impact the category’s performance:
- Which types of spreads are purchased by adults and how do purchase preferences differ by demographics?
- Which foods do consumers eat with nut-based, seed-based, and sweet spreads? Do these foods differ by type of spread?
- What are the top nutritional attributes consumers look for when buying nut-based spreads and sweet spreads?
- Which types of nut-based spreads and sweet spreads are consumers most interested in seeing more of?
- How does behavior related to nut-based spreads and sweet spreads differ by demographics and spreads purchased?
- How do health, product concerns and preferences impact consumer attitudes toward nut-based spreads and sweet spreads?
For the purposes of this report, nut-based spreads and sweet spreads include the following products:
- Nut and seed butters including peanut, almond, sunflower, and others;
- Shelf-stable and frozen jam, jelly, and fruit spreads, and preserves.
Note: the terms sweet spreads and fruit spreads are used interchangeably in this report.
Butter and margarine spreads are excluded from the scope of this report (please see Mintel’s Butter, Margarines, and Oils – US, July 2014 report).
Take a look inside a sample report
Mintel’s consumer reports deliver insight and expert analysis into key consumer trends and behaviour in your marketplace, in addition to an overview of the market data and key brands. Mintel’s consumer reports provide you with easily digestible information to guide your future innovation and move your business forward.Download now
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.