Nutritional and Performance Drinks - US - April 2016
"Mintel estimates the nutritional and performance drink category continued its moderate growth, with dollar sales increasing 6% in 2015. The category benefits from growing consumer attention toward healthy living, and provides a convenient and efficient means of helping them meet goals."
- Beth Bloom, Food & Drink Analyst
This report looks at the following areas:
- More than a third of consumers are too busy to take care of themselves
- Competing categories make a play for functional delivery
- Weight loss drinks stall
However, food and drink products across the board have caught on to the value of functional positioning (inc hydration, protein delivery, energy boosting), and challenge nutritional and performance drinks at their own game. Mintel forecasts growth will continue, but at a slower pace. Proving efficacy and staying relevant as health trends change will be key in retaining patronage.
For the purposes of this Report, Mintel has used the following definitions:
- Sports drinks: liquid drinks and drink mixes designed specifically to help people perform and recover better from physical activity (eg Gatorade, Powerade).
- Performance drinks: liquid drinks and drink mixes marketed for enhanced sports performance (eg Muscle Milk, Core Power).
- Weight loss drinks: liquid drinks and drink mixes that are specifically positioned to aid in weight loss efforts (eg SlimFast, Atkins).
- Nutritional drinks: liquid drinks and drink mixes that offer nutrition and convenience, and fill a specific nutritional need, such as providing additional amounts of vitamins/minerals to supplement a regular diet or supporting a special diet (eg Ensure, Glucerna, Boost), and meal replacements such as Carnation Breakfast. For the purpose of consumer data reporting, meal replacement drinks are broken out as a separate measure.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.