On-trade Alcoholic Drinks - China - June 2014
“When it comes to alcoholic drinks, women’s spending is significantly less compared with men and female consumers are widely considered ‘hard to reach’. Highlighting food pairing and partnering with Asia restaurants in online-based campaigns should be able to help brands stand out when targeting women.”
– David Zhang, Research Analyst
Some questions answered in this report include:
- How can brands target female consumers at on-trade channels?
- How can brands utilise food pairing to improve awareness of their drinks?
- How to break the affordability barrier?
- How can premium drinks effectively reposition themselves under the anti-extravagance campaign?
As the dominating power of the on-trade channel, the beer segment has become more mature, with the growth rate slowing. This has led to annual growth in the overall on-trade market falling to only 1.2% in 2013.
In the high-end segment, the wine and spirits categories have been hit, and the market has become more consumer-centric instead of business-purpose driven. In the past few years, there have been a number of shifts, with the wine segment seeing its volume decrease in 2013 and the growth rate of spirits decreasing from to 6.0% in 2013.
Looking ahead, sales in the on-trade alcoholic beverage market are likely to grow by a modest CAGR of 3.8%. While high-end premium wines and spirits are losing ground, mid-range product lines are expanding fast to fill the gap. The strong performance in the mid-range wine and spirits categories and the trend of premiumisation in the beer category are the key drivers supporting growth in the on-trade alcoholic drink market.
This report covers the sale of alcoholic drinks through on-trade outlets in China. Alcoholic drinks include:
- Beer (eg lager, ale, cider)
- Wine (eg red wine, white wine, rosé wine)
- Chinese spirits (baijiu)
- Champagne/other sparkling wine (eg Prosecco, Cava)
- Western spirits (eg whiskey, vodka).
On-trade outlets include:
- Chinese full-service restaurants (eg Sichuan cuisine, Guangdong cuisine, Mongolian Hotpot)
- Foreign full-service restaurants (eg Italian cuisine, French cuisine, American cuisine)
- Other Asian full-service restaurants (eg Japanese, Korean, Indian) Karaoke clubs/KTVs
- Nightclubs Bars & Pubs (eg hotel bars, wine bars, themed bars, brew pubs).
Take a look inside a sample report
Mintel’s consumer reports deliver insight and expert analysis into key consumer trends and behaviour in your marketplace, in addition to an overview of the market data and key brands. Mintel’s consumer reports provide you with easily digestible information to guide your future innovation and move your business forward.Download now
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.