Onboard Catering - UK - May 2010
- The vast majority of people who have travelled by plane in the last two years have eaten/drunk onboard. Six in ten of these passengers say this was because it was included in the price.
- Expense stops food & drink purchasing for nearly half of those who have travelled by plane but not eaten/drunk onboard.
- Approximately fifty percent of people who have travelled by train in the last two years have not eaten/drunk onboard with commuters accounting for much of this group.
- Around of half of those that have travelled on a train in the last two years have not eaten/drunk onboard. This is due to the high number of train passengers who are commuting to and from work.
- Less than one in ten train passengers think that eating/drinking onboard trains is part of the experience. As rail passengers’ main concern is overcrowding, it is unsurprising that rail operators are sacrificing dining cars for extra seating.
- Only one in five consumers have been on a ferry in the last two years. Ferry use has dipped marginally and remains a niche method of transport. In recent years, low alcohol prices in supermarkets, etc, have made the idea of the booze cruise less relevant to consumers, while the trend towards no-frills low cost flights has also taken market share away from the ferry sector.
- Compared to airports and train stations, ferries have less competition from other catering options at terminals. This lack of competition may explain why only a quarter of ferry passengers consider eating onboard as part of the experience.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.