Online Leisure - UK - December 2010
This report explores current usage patterns of the internet for leisure purposes as well as how the web is used for booking leisure experiences. The report includes an examination of developments in broadband connectivity, macroeconomic and demographic factors, current areas of online leisure innovation and a detailed analysis of when and how people browse for leisure, what people do online and attitudes to the leisure internet.
- The three most popular online leisure activities are reading the news, social networking and information research/reference, each carried out by over six in ten adult internet users over the past three months.
- While younger surfers still dominate the web, older users are cathcing up. Eight out of ten 16-34-year-old internet users have visited a social-networking site in the past three months so have as many as half of 45-64s. Older consumers are also catching up when it comes to viewing video/film clips online.
- 25-34-year-olds are, however, the pivotal online group. This is the only age group showing above-average engagement with all activities surveyed, while they also have the most varied communication habits and above-average propensity to book leisure events and services online.
- Evening browsing peaks among 16-24-year-olds. Daytime slots, while having lower levels of internet traffic, have a more mature age profile than evenings.
- Mobile internet usage usage remains very youth focused: over a third of 16-34-year-olds currently use the internet for leisure while on the move but this falls to just one in seven over-35s.
- Four in ten internet users have booked leisure activities online over the past three months. Those most likely to book leisure activities online are 25-34-year-olds, ABs, ABC1 families and those with household income above £25,000.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.