Online Shopping - US - June 2010
The explosive growth of e-commerce hit a wall in 2009, as consumers pulled back in all areas of retail. Shoppers turned to the Internet for bargains, but the consumer base for e-commerce remained flat. While sales increased substantially in the first quarter of 2010, the macroeconomic future is cloudy at best, suggesting potentially slower growth than what has historically been an achieving segment. In this environment, success is not assured—some categories and retailers will continue to post strong sales growth, while the fates of weaker retailers are less than certain. Near-term growth can no longer depend on growing adoption and will have to come from higher spend per customer, or increases in market share within an increasingly competitive market.
In this exclusive report, Mintel takes a look at how e-commerce dynamics and consumer attitudes toward online purchase are changing. Analysis and insights will answer the following questions:
- Which segments of e-commerce performed better during the recession?
- What makes Amazon so successful?
- Which initiatives are driving sales growth?
- Which forms of lead generation are increasing in effectiveness?
- Which innovations are shaping mobile commerce and the future of online retail?
- What are the key motivations behind online purchases, other than low prices?
- How comfortable are consumers making large purchases online?
- What barriers and limitations remain to higher adoption?
- How prevalent is price comparison and how is it used?
- What are the key demographics for web retailers to target?
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.