Online Spending Habits - UK - February 2011
This report provides an overview of online spending habits in 2010, assessing the value, growth and potential that the market has, in addition to the typical patterns of behaviour and adoption that consumers display when shopping online.
- Over half (55%) of all internet users research products online before making a purchase (either in-store or online), with just under half utilising online reviews, comparison sites and discount voucher/code sites.
- Consumers in the family lifestage and those with young children are amongst the most likely to rely on the convenience of online shopping, while – with the exception of home electronics, portable electronics and online gaming – women are more likely than men to spend in every e-commerce category surveyed by Mintel.
- According to IMRG data, UK online spending in 2010 grew by 17.6% to reach a total of £58.6 billion, with Ofcom reporting that average spend online per person reached £1,031 in 2010.
- Two thirds of consumers are spending online on a basis of once a month, or once every two months, with the most frequent spending groups including those aged 25-44, ABs and families with young children.
- Christmas represents a key occasion for bringing consumer spend online, with even one in five of the least frequent spenders (ie those who say they rarely spend online), shopping online at Christmas.
- Some 27% of consumers have welcomed internet shopping because they hate shops, and 77% of these consumers say they use the web to try to save money as well. These consumers are highly likely to have children, although there is, perhaps surprisingly, no greater tendency amongst men to have been driven online by a hatred of shopping.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.