Oral Healthcare - UK - January 2011
While the market has reached close to 100% penetration for basic items (eg toothpaste and toothbrushes) and is serviced by a comprehensive and wide-ranging product offer, there is still room for growth. There is an opportunity to upgrade the basic one-step brushing regimen to include a mouthwash and, for more sophisticated shoppers, interdental items, which are relatively uncommon features of bathroom cabinets in the UK.
- According to research commissioned for this report, worries about yellowing or stained teeth prey on the minds of four in ten adults, making cosmetic issues the most prevalent oral health concern.
- Sensitivity is also a concern for almost four in ten adults and around a third of the population are concerned about plaque build up, cavities and gum problemes, in that order. Today's diets - whether fruit filled and healthy or more indulgent and peppered with sweet treats - damage teeth.
- Dentists' recommendations are persuasive for three in ten adults when buying toothpaste or toothbrushes, although brand reputation is a more important driver of toothpaste choice for four in ten.
- Research also shows that one in five adults only change their toothbrush when absolutely necessary, wheni ts bristles are bent for example. Encouraging more frequent replacement of brushes is one growth opportunity for manufacturers therefore.
- Representing a relatively small proportion of sales, ancillaries also offer significant opportunities for growth. Steadily increasing sales of mouthwash suggest consumers are widening their personal oral care product portfolios so it is possible that additional care steps - such as flossing- could be added on a more regular basis.
- Traditional advertising, promotional activities and low prices have little impact on consumer purchasing choices; just over one in ten are influenced by cheap prices. Hygienists recommendations influence a similar proportion.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.