Oral Healthcare - UK - June 2013
“Appearance, health and hygiene remain the most important drivers in this category, with older people more focused on health and hygiene and younger people more focused on appearance. With the growth of the oldest and youngest demographics predicted, this offers opportunities for more tailored product offerings. Own-label remains competitive in this market; however, branded products should show the added benefits of better technology and innovation both to the dentist and the consumer.”
– Roshida Khanom, OTC and Personal Care Analyst
Some questions answered in this report include:
- Which age demographics are likely to contribute the most to growth?
- What role does the dentist have in this market?
- What have been some interesting innovations in 2012 and 2013?
- How is own-label performing in this segment?
- What is more important, appearance or hygiene benefits?
The oral healthcare category (made up of toothbrushes, toothpaste, mouthwash, denture products and dental ancillaries) has seen fluctuation historically, but grew by 4% in 2012 and is predicted to witness continued growth. It is currently worth almost £1 billion. Product launches in the category in 2012 have been focused on line extensions, relaunches and packaging changes with little in the way of new product innovation.
Consumers show high involvement in the category, driven by health and hygiene but also appearance motivations. Attitudes vary by demographic and this can be used to target communication for age-appropriate brands or products effectively. The market has seen much in communication to professionals (ie dentists) and although the cost of visiting the dentist has gone up, the role of the dentist is likely to remain important in product recommendations.
This report covers the UK consumer market for oral hygiene products, including products in the following categories:
- Toothbrushes – standard manual, electric (rechargeable), battery-powered (non-rechargeable), replacement toothbrush heads, travel brushes and combined toothbrush/tongue scraper
- Toothpaste – including pastes, gels, polish and powder formats
- Mouthwash/rinse – primarily for the maintenance of dental and oral hygiene, includes medicated and non-medicated
- Denture products – cleaners and fixatives and cleaners for orthodontic appliances
- Dental accessories/ancillaries – includes cosmetic whitening products, eg gels, fresh breath dental chewing gum (eg Colgate Whitening Dental Gum) with product licences for the treatment and maintenance of oral hygiene, tongue scraper, fresh breath strips and other breath fresheners, dental floss, tape, gum/ulcer/teething gel, eg Bonjela, interdental sticks and brushes, disclosing tablets
- Note that data have been revised since the last report due to new information from the trade.
- Products used solely by the dental profession or products available only on prescription.
- General-purpose antiseptic liquids, treatments for sore throats and products for the treatment of oral lesions, sores and mouth ulcers, such as gums, pastilles and teething gels are not included in the market size data, but are discussed within the scope of the report.
- The report only covers retail sales, although the proportion of products sold direct via dental surgeries will also be discussed where appropriate.
Take a look inside a sample report to see what you will receive: Download now.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.