OTC Pediatrics - US - February 2016
Illness is prevalent among children, as 90% of children younger than 12 experienced some type of ailment in the past year. Their weaker immune system combined with opportunities for interaction and germ spreading makes them especially susceptible to illness. The OTC (over-the-counter) pediatrics market has continued to grow after a series of product recalls in 2010-13, as parents’ confidence in familiar brands has returned. When it comes to illness, parents will spend on products to help their children feel better and some are seeking out natural remedies as a safer alternative.
This report examines the following areas:
- New parents are purchasing fewer medications than those with parenting experience
- Home remedies compromise OTC medication use
- Parents may not choose any remedies to treat mild ailments
This report explores parents’ attitudes toward children’s OTC medications, including private label and name brand medications. The report will also discuss opportunities for product innovation.
For the purposes of this report, Mintel has used the following definitions:
The OTC pediatrics products market includes children’s strength versions of OTC medications and vitamins/minerals/supplements. This includes remedies that are designed to treat children younger than 12, including babies and toddlers.
The market is segmented as follows:
- Cold, cough, and allergy remedies (includes sinus and nasal remedies): cold/allergy/sinus remedies; cough syrup; cough/sore throat drops; sore throat remedies; nasal sprays/drops/inhalers; nasal strips; nasal aspirators Vitamins/minerals/supplements: multi-vitamins; 1- and 2-letter vitamins; minerals and supplements. Supplements include only those herbal, homeopathic, and similar products that are generally sold through mainstream retailers.
- Internal analgesics – liquid and tablet form
- Baby electrolytes
- Other health remedies: ear care products; oral pain relief; external analgesic rubs; chest rubs; bedwetting remedies; gastrointestinal remedies, including laxatives, diarrhea remedies, stomach remedies, antacids, motion sickness tablets
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.