Package Holidays - UK - July 2010
This report examines package holidays, considering who takes such trips, what they look for from these holidays and why, the strengths and weaknesses of the segment, how packages break down by destination, duration and cost, innovations of relevance, consumer trends and the future prospects of the market.
- Mintel estimates that 14.4 million package holidays will be taken in 2010, with over £9.4 billion spent on such trips (excluding transport costs). Package holidays’ share of the overall market continues to fall, however, now at 36% from 43% in 2005.
- Package holidaymakers are most likely third-agers or in families with children aged five-plus. Socio-economically, C2s and ABs are the key groups, while geographically Southerners are less likely than Northerners/people living in Wales to opt for a package trip.
- There has been a clear shift in popular package holiday destinations, away from Europe (although this is still the most popular region) and into long-haul locations (excluding North America). Although Spain, France and Italy remained the top three in 2009, Turkey was the fourth most popular package destination, with Egypt sixth.
- In line with overall holiday trends, beach/resort trips are declining, however they are still (by far) the most popular type of package holiday at over two in five such breaks. This marks a significant difference from independent holidaymakers, where just over one in five adults opt for a beach trip.
- The fact that package holidays are easier and save time is their key selling point in the eyes of consumers and agreement with this opinion has risen throughout the recession.
- Late booking rose as the recession bit – under two week lead-ins were more likely in 2009 than at any point since 2006. Similarly, one-month prior package bookings were more likely than any point since 2005.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.