Pasta, Rice, Noodles and Starches - Canada - March 2016
"Paste, rice and noodles (PRN) enjoys near ubiquitous usage among Canadians. This, however, does not mean that the landscape is not changing. Pasta retail volume sales remained relatively steady between 2011 and 2015, while rice grew. As Canada’s demographic mix changes, so too is what Canadians are eating."
- Joel Gregoire, Senior Research Analyst – Food & Beverage
This report looks at the following areas:
- Rice to overtake pasta consumption
- Consumers show limited stated topline interest for PRN innovation
- Aging population represents a challenge for PRN
While a segment of consumers look for “more” from PRN in the form of healthful and premium ingredients and flavours, the primary reason that consumers turn to these categories is simplicity of preparation, followed by versatility and ease of storage. This Report addresses these demands to aid manufacturers and retailers in identifying areas of focus for innovation and messaging strategies in the Canadian market.
For the purposes of this Report, Mintel has used the following definitions:
- White Rice (eg jasmine, short grain, excluding instant)
- Brown rice (excluding instant)
- Wild rice (excluding instant)
- Dry rice with flavour or seasoning included (eg Chinese fried rice)
- Instant, ready-to-serve rice (eg Uncle Ben’s Rice).
- Egg noodles
- Instant flavoured noodles
- Rice noodles.
- Dry pasta not flavoured
- Dry flavoured pasta (eg macaroni and cheese)
- Refrigerated pasta
- Canned pasta (eg Chef Boyardee).
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
Why buy from us?
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.