Pet Food and Supplies - UK - March 2011
UK consumers are heavily invested in the pet care market. Their personal lifestyle, health and hygiene expectations are being transferred to pets, and the market is only too happy to cater to this demand.
- The number of UK households with dogs has overtaken cats for the first time in the last five years; however due to the higher number of cats per household, cats remain the largest population with an estimated total of 8.3 million dogs and 8.6 million cats in 2010 the UK.
- Weight control is becoming as relevant to pets as it is to humans with a third of dogs and a quarter of cats considered to be overweight. The growing awareness of pet obesity has prompted a number of targeted initiatives and also provides further opportunities for specific diet foods for certain breeds and ages.
- Dog owners are typically more price-sensitive than cat owners due to the higher volumes of food that dogs consume and have responded by buying different foods such as more complete dry food. Complete dry dog food has grown significantly to be used by four in five dog users, similar to dry cat food.
- Pet treat brands can continue to add value to the category by refocusing on the less mature and relatively underdeveloped cat treat market at the expense of dog treats.
- Another way in which brands can continue to grow sales is by tapping into the trend towards pet parenting, with 70% of pet owners treating their pets with as much care as they would a child, with products such as greetings cards and other gifts.
- The type of pet owned has an impact on the amount of accessories required; cat owners need relatively few ‘belongings’ and when it comes to toys, dogs are the clear winners (68% of dog owners buy toys compared to 51% of cat owners). However, households with children under 10 provide the biggest motivation to buy any pet accessories, not just toys.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.