Pies and Pasties - UK - July 2010
- As a good value and filling meal option, the pies & pasties category has performed well suring the recession with value sales climbing by 5.2% between 2007 and 2009 to reach an estimated £941m in 2009
- An opportunity exist to grow the market by increasing frequency of consumption among the 43% of 34 milion consumers of pies and pasties who are eating them once a month or less
- With tightening budgets and relatively less disposable income, 71% of consumers agree that pies and pasties make a cheap and filling meal
- Competition from other convenience foods, such as pizzas, ready meals and ready-to-cook foods, should force more manufacturers of pies and pasties to focus on finding new points of differentiation by promoting the provenance of their ranges, as well as the quality of ingredients they use
- Just over 16m consumers prefer branded pies and pasties, yet 10m agree that own label varieties taste no different from the branded options
- Consumers are ‘creatures of habit’ when it comes to buying pies and pasties - only two fifths are adventurous enough to be trying out different flavoured pies and pasties
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.