Pizza and Pasta Restaurants (and Takeaway) - UK - January 2010
- A quarter of customers who have been to a pizza/pasta restaurant in the last three months have been motivated by special promotions/discounts.
- Only one in ten consumers think pizza/ pasta takeaways are good value for money, yet this sector continues to drive the market
- It seems that pizza/pasta restaurant operators have lost their shine, other than as a meal replacement exercise: alongside price promotions driving business, only 16% of consumers (or a quarter of regular users) think pizza/pasta restaurants are good for a special occasion or as a treat.
- The recession has made bargain hunting a more socially acceptable pursuit: value and affordability are today’s buzzwords. Mid-market venues such as pizza/pasta restaurants need to make sure they have a strong market positioning either as a low-cost/value operator or a premium economy choice (eg GBK).
- Brand differentiation is a major concern in this market with 17 million consumers believing that menus in all pizza/pasta restaurants are the same.
- Pizza Hut continues to be the most popular brand in the pizza/pasta restaurant market with around 11 million consumers having visited in the last three months (compared to 7 million Domino’s users and 6 million visitors to PizzaExpress).
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.