Plant and Tool Hire (Industrial Report) - UK - December 2013
For the purposes of this report, the UK plant hire market includes two major sectors, namely the hire of heavy plant and equipment (plant hire), mainly for the heavy construction industry, and the hire of tools and small items of plant and equipment (tool hire), used in both the construction and DIY sectors.
The plant hire sector includes the hire of plant and equipment with or without operators. The plant and equipment in this sector of the market includes:
- heavy earthmoving equipment, including large off-road vehicles, such as excavators and dump trucks, used in major civil engineering projects and open cast mining
- medium-sized earthmoving equipment, including construction vehicles, mainly used in civil engineering contracts, such as dumper trucks, bulldozers, scrapers, rollers, excavators and mobile cranes
- specialist plant mainly used in major civil engineering projects, including ore crushers, sand and gravel silos as well as static cement mixers and pumps
- general plant, including fork lift trucks, diggers, large generators, compressors and compressed air tools, small dump trucks and floodlighting. This type of plant is mainly utilised in general building work, house building and industrial building
- static cranes, including tower cranes used in major building projects. These are usually hired with a qualified operator for long term periods
- powered access platforms, including hydraulic or electric power platforms used in industrial and civil engineering projects and maintenance
- plant and equipment for specific sectors, such as airport and rail maintenance or oil and gas exploration
- agricultural machinery, including harvesting and sorting machinery as well as machinery for forestry and logging. In the agricultural machinery sector, equipment such as tractors tend to be owned outright by farmers, as these are required for continuous use, while machinery such as harvesters, balers and sorters are only used for a short period each year and are therefore often more economic to hire rather than buy
- temporary accommodation, such as mobile toilets, fencing and tool sheds
- conventional scaffolding, often provided by specialist firms, which also provide the assembly and dismantling of the scaffolding, particularly in major projects. A typical hire period for conventional scaffolding is believed to range from one week to one month
- access platforms, including non-powered self-assembly towers and platforms
- skips and demolition equipment, such as rubbish chutes and mini conveyors often used in projects involved with building refurbishment.
The tool hire sector includes the hire of smaller plant and equipment, usually without an operator. The average hire period in this sector is typically less than a week. The following equipment is included in this sector:
- power tools, including belt sanders, paving cutters, heavy duty angle grinders and chain saws. These are hired by large scale operators involved in major civil engineering projects, as well as private firms and DIY enthusiasts
- lifting and movement equipment, such as pallet trucks, scissor lift platforms, chain blocks, hoists and stair climbers. These are often hired for one off use for moving large objects
- mini plant, including bobcats, narrow excavators, machinery for ground preparation, portable generators, concrete and cement mixers as well as mobile heating units. This type of equipment is generally hired by private building operators rather than major civil engineering companies
- traffic control systems, including mobile traffic lights, road markers, barriers and cones, generally used by small road maintenance contractors.
Take a look inside a sample report
Mintel’s consumer reports deliver insight and expert analysis into key consumer trends and behaviour in your marketplace, in addition to an overview of the market data and key brands. Mintel’s consumer reports provide you with easily digestible information to guide your future innovation and move your business forward.Download now
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.