Portion Control - US - April 2009
As companies introduce new “better for you” prepared foods and the government continues to view obesity as an “epidemic,” Americans have continued to gain weight. Although government estimates now indicate that the rate of obesity is no longer on the rise, health experts agree that obesity has become a serious social problem that will impact the lives of millions and cost taxpayers billions of dollars.
This has created an opportunity for forward-thinking companies to offer portioned meals and portion control products to help consumers avoid the temptation of overeating. This report is designed to assist companies that have developed or are planning to develop such products. More specifically, this report answers the following questions:
- How have average portion sizes changed over the past 20 years?
- How do consumers define “portion,” and how do they measure portions?
- In general, do Americans make an effort to limit the amount of food or type of foods they eat?
- What is the prevalence of “grazing” vs. eating three complete meals per day?
- What environments and eating situations tend to cause overeating and which discourage it?
- What drives people to monitor their diet and caloric intake?
- How strong is demand for 100-calorie packs of popular snack foods?
- What types of portioned pre-packaged meal products are displaying sales growth, and why?
- What companies and brands are succeeding in the portion control market and why?
- How are companies promoting their portion control foods and dieting systems?
- What types of foods are most popular in the U.S.?
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.