Premium and Value Own-label Food - UK - March 2010
This report looks at how consumers have changed their purchase choices between various types of own-label and branded foods, and how their attitudes towards these have changed, as well as the role of the food retailers.
- It is vital for brand owners to provide consumers with reminders and tangible reasons to return as only 4% of people plan to buy less own-label once the economy recovers.
- The exception to the rule and a large potential target group for brands, some five million 16-24-year-olds do not plan to keep buying the same amount of own-labels once the economy improves.
- Seven million adults see premium own-label as a small treat, but unsuitable for special occasions, making this group an attractive target for products pitched above premium own-label food.
- The ready meals market is almost devoid of brand presence. Top-end branded products could target the 15m adults who currently buy premium own-label.
- Premium foods tailored for over 55-year-olds could tap into a loyal pool of 7.6 million over-55s who currently buy premium own-label food.
- Products offering a momentary escape from the recession through small treats and luxuries that don’t break the bank stand to attract the 17m people just making ends meet.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
Why buy from us?
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.