Private Label Beverages - US - December 2013
“Stiff competition from global beverage companies means retailers have to work very hard to compete in the private label beverage category. Addressing the needs of key demographic groups, offering products that meet consumer needs for value, quality, and more, as well as playing on the inherent advantages of being a retailer will help address these challenges.”
– Sarah Day Levesque, Food and Beverage Analyst
This report looks at the following areas:
- How can retailers increase household penetration of private label drinks?
- What can be done to improve the quality perception of private label drinks?
- How can retailers better compete with name brands?
The private label beverage market has grown from 2009 to 2013 and has been relatively stagnant since 2011. Despite an increase in new product launches since 2011, an increase in name brand product launches combined with an improving economy has kept private label beverage sales around an estimated $15.8 billion in 2013. Sales growth is expected to stay on this same slow growth trajectory for 2009-13 as retailers struggle to compete with name brands in the category. Maintaining and increasing growth will rely on retailer innovation in beverage products that address the needs of a variety of consumers.
Among the topics covered in this report are:
- What is driving, or hindering, the private label beverage market?
- What is the current market size and future projections?
- What types of private label beverage products are most successful with consumers?
- Which companies have been the most aggressive in marketing and what positioning are they using?
- How are retailers innovating with private label beverage products to better address consumer needs?
- What factors influence consumer behavior and what matters most to consumers?
For the purposes of this report, Mintel has used the following definitions:
According to the Private Label Manufacturers Association (PLMA), private label products encompass all merchandise sold under a retail store’s private label. That label can be the store’s own name or a name created exclusively by that store. In some cases, a store may belong to a wholesale buying group that owns labels, which are available to the members of the group. These wholesaler-owned labels are referred to as controlled labels.
This report includes private label sales and market share data in the following segments:
- Milk, non-dairy drinks, and yogurt drinks
- Tea and coffee
- Juice and juice drinks
- Sports, nutritional, and performance drinks
- Alcoholic beverages
- Carbonated beverages (soda) and energy drinks
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.