Private Label Cereal - US - July 2010
Despite recent evidence that the economy may slowly be coming out of a deep recession, consumers are still wary and have been more cautious with their spending. This has translated to opportunities for private label manufacturers, which offer products at lower prices than name-brand equivalents. In categories such as cereal, where prices can exceed $5 a box, private label is an attractive option. Of concern for name-brand manufacturers is that consumers who, in the down economy have opted for lower-cost alternatives such as those offered by store brands, will not return to name brands, even when the economy recovers. This is of particular concern for cereal companies, as consumers do not necessarily feel there is a significant product difference between name and private-label brands.
This report offers insights on the following:
- insights into what is driving hot and cold cereal sales performance, as well as the influence of private label on these segments and their impact on name brands
- an analysis of opportunities for private-label companies to grow their business by considering new markets and target audiences
- a review on how various retail channels are faring with regard to name and store brand cereals and how the way consumers perceive food channels versus other outlet types can influence their shopping behavior
- a comparison of consumers’ attitudes toward name brand and private-label cereal and how their perceptions of each are shaping their buying behavior
- an analysis of how satisfied consumers are with their current cereal options and what they are looking for in terms of future improvements that may form the foundation for new sub-segments focused on functional benefits.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.