Refusing to Grow Old Gracefully - UK - September 2009
- The growing number of over-45s represents a force to be reckoned with! Today there are 25.7 million adults aged 45+ in the UK; by 2014, there will be another 2 million.
- Indulging in life’s little luxuries gets easier with age. Although the financial circumstances of the over-45s vary, many feel better off having reached a stage in their life where there are fewer calls on their disposable income.
- The travel bug bites hard among today’s over-45s, who often envy the backpacking adventures of their kids. A fifth of over-45s travel more than they did 5 years ago, while just under a third of 45-54-year-olds have ambitions to take-off on a trip of a lifetime.
- It’s now or never! Today’s over-45s feel they need to grab opportunities when they are offered. This is particularly the case when it comes to trying new ‘experiences’ (eg snorkelling) while on holiday.
- Music concerts and festivals are a big hit with today’s music loving over-45s, one in five of whom have been to one in the past 3 years, with a further 15% wanting to go. This doesn’t only extend to acts that were popular in their youth, but also to more modern artists such as Cold Play and Take That!
- The internet knows no age boundaries. Three in five over-45s are now internet users, while usage among 45-54s peaks at 81%. Internet usage among this age group will undoubtedly continue to increase, making this medium increasingly important for targeting older consumers.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.