Restaurant Beverage Trends - UK - December 2009
This report assesses consumers’ attitudes towards drinks in restaurants and looks at the underlying motivations and influential factors behind consumers’ purchasing habits in this area.
- As a result of the recession, six in ten consumers have altered their eating-out habits to some extent. Yet four in ten consumers have not.
- The majority of consumers (60%) haven’t changed their out-of-home drinking habits. Operators should not rely on price promotions alone, instead focusing on expanding the flexibility of their menus to maximise revenues in the current tough trading environment.
- One in five consumers order tap rather than bottled water and fewer than one in ten only ever order the house wine. This is in line with consumer’s grocery shopping habits during the recession as they did not automatically trade down to own-label products when the economic downturn began, instead sticking to brands they knew and trusted.
- For one in ten diners, drinks menus influence their choice of venue. This factor is ranked higher than recommendations by food critics/ guides/ media reviews and the use of ethical products. Recommendations of how to match drinks to food could help to make a drinks menus an even more significant factor in consumers choice of restaurant.
- Nearly half of diners tend to drink the same thing regardless of what they’re eating compared to less than one in three who choose drinks based on the dish/meal being ordered.
- More than one in three diners argue that soft drinks are overpriced in restaurants, although fewer than one in ten believe that there are not enough alcoholic beverage choices at most restaurants.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.