Role of Packaging in Beauty Innovation - UK - May 2010
This is the first time that Mintel has examined the role of packaging in the beauty and personal care industry. This report looks at what influences people’s purchasing decisions and how influential packaging is compared to price, special offers, brand loyalty and scent, amongst many other factors. By delving deeper into people’s attitudes towards packaging, Mintel’s exclusive consumer research conducted for this report also identifies what people do and do not like about beauty and personal care packaging.
- In the beauty and personal care sector, packaging appears to be a less important conscious factor in the purchase process than price, product performance and fragrance.
- Indirectly, packaging influences purchase decisions within the UK beauty and personal care sector. Although people do not consciously take much interest in packaging, it does help new brands stand out, also reducing the time taken to pick out favourite brands on increasingly overcrowded shelves.
- More than 16 million people (42%) claim to be interested in biodegradable packaging, although it is not a consideration until users come to dispose of the packaging. Environmentally-friendly packaging is more influential in encouraging repeat purchase than attracting new users.
- More than nine in ten people hold negative attitudes towards packaging. The main criticism is that products are over-packaged. Too much packaging is not only seen as a waste of natural resources, but also a way to raise product prices, thereby creating the illusion of luxury.
- Easy-to-open packaging is top priority when choosing which products to buy, confirming another packaging issue: more than half the population get frustrated by difficult-to-open packaging.
- The UK population is dominated by over 55-year-olds, an age group which will see strong growth in numbers over the next five years. Products with higher usage amongst the over 55-yr-olds should pay closer attention to the packaging requirements of this group who are most likely to get frustrated with difficult-to-open packaging.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.