Rosé Wine - UK - October 2010
This is a one-off Mintel report focusing specifically on the rosé market rather than analysing the entire wine market, which segments into red, white and rosé wine.
The reason for this report is that despite very challenging market conditions, rosé has shown exponential growth in the past decade, even proving recession-proof, and has grown from a niche segment into a £1 billion plus market. This report looks at why it has been so successful.
- Rosé has recently hit the £1 billion barrier and Mintel forecasts that it will continue to grow its share of the total wine market over the next five years, at the expense of red and white wine.
- Dual rather than blanket targeting is key to maximising rosé sales, with better quality rosés attracting existing, affluent wine drinkers, while sweeter-tasting versions attract consumers from outside the wine category, who are typically younger and of more modest means.
- Packaging innovations such as rosé in a can or ready-to-serve glass, can help target this new breed of younger wine drinker, who are more interested in smaller formats than the traditional 75cl bottle.
- Producers should focus on rosé’s freshness in order to tap into the 5 million rosé drinkers, that view this as an important factor in choosing which wine to buy.
- While rosé is associated with summers, Mintel’s analysis shows that it is now drunk all-year-round and distribution and marketing strategies should reflect this.
- Older, more traditional wine consumers see rosé as third in their repertoire of wines but this attitude can be changed through a greater focus on food matching.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
Why buy from us?
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.