Salons and Spas - UK - November 2009
- The recession has not impacted on the need to look and feel good. However, there is evidence that people are cutting back on salons and spa treatments and switching to home alternatives where possible.
- Salons and spas are lacking in appeal to more than half of adults. For many, spas and salons are regarded as boring and this is a key reason for their lack of appeal. Addressing this is likely to enhance men’s enjoyment and perception of spas in particular.
- An estimated 8 million adults say that they have always wanted to go the spa. They are most likely to be in the family lifestage, with the spa offering a means of escapism from family responsibilities.
- Older women are the most frequent visitors to the hair salon, but are less likely to have had other beauty treatments. The salons and spas market could capitalise on the forecast demographic growth amongst this age group to 2014 by making treatments more appealing to the over 65s.
- Regardless of whether adults have visited a salon or spa in the last 12 months, more than four in five named things that put them off going, such as a lack of appeal, a female focus or overpriced treatments. Addressing these put-offs creates an opportunity for a completely new generation of spas that deviate from the standard spa set-up that exists today.
- Women are more engaged with the salons and spas market although men will use them for a more functional purpose. Aside from getting their haircut, post-sports treatments such as using the sauna/steam room or having body treatments such as a massage are the most popular treatments amongst men. Understanding this, could inspire a treatments menu with greater appeal to men.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.