Salty Snacks: Popcorn, cheese, corn and meat snacks - US - April 2011
Within the overall salty snacks category, popcorn, cheese snacks, meat snacks and corn snacks are among the smaller segments. Nonetheless, they still collectively generated nearly $5 billion in total 2010 U.S. sales. Moreover, with the exception of corn snacks, annual sales for each of the other segments in the report exceed $1 billion, so small is a relative term. What makes this achievement more impressive is that it has occurred during one of the more difficult economic periods in U.S. history. Although not entirely immune to the recession, these salty snack segments have a price point that makes them an affordable indulgence or cost-effective snack.
This report offers analysis of how the salty snacks category performed in 2010 and provides insights on critical topics that could hold the key to success or failure. The snacking industry is not only a major part of Americans’ lives, but is a key source of revenue for retailers and manufacturers alike. With this in mind, the report addresses the following topics:
- Given the struggling economy, what has the category been doing to maintain consumer loyalty when shoppers have lots of food options to choose from?
- What factors have had the greatest influence on individual segment performance, and what are manufacturers doing to manage current and future challenges?
- Considering all of the media coverage regarding obesity issues, what are manufacturers doing to educate consumers regarding how they can still enjoy snacking sensibly and incorporate fun-for-you products into their diets?
- Although the snack industry is perceived as being fairly recession-proof, what role do household income, gender, race/Hispanic origin and other demographic factors play in its sales performance?
- Have private label manufacturers been able to effectively leverage economic concerns to increase their share of the snacking business? What are name brand companies doing to convince recession-wary consumers that their products are worth paying for?
- What kind of marketing strategies and tools are manufacturers using to connect with their target audiences? What role does social media and other online initiatives play in how salty snacks are marketed?
- Who are the top companies and how are their major brands performing? What are they doing in terms of innovation to address consumers’ ever-changing needs?
- What differences and similarities are there among consumers across salty snack segments and how can they be leveraged to maximize sales opportunities?
- What can be learned from consumers’ buying behavior and how are manufacturers using this information to maintain relevance to shoppers who are confronted by an increasing number of products and shopping formats?
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.