Salty Snacks - US - January 2015
“As consumers continue to snack more frequently on salty snacks and other options, manufacturers will be tasked with meeting their varying need states. While some consumers look for BFY snacks, the top reasons for buying salty snacks are as a treat or to satisfy a craving, indicating there is room in the market for both healthy and indulgent salty snacks.” – Amanda Topper, Food Analyst
This report answers the following key questions:
- How will increased snacking occasions impact the category?
- What impact do health concerns have?
- What motivates consumers to buy salty snacks and how can this create new opportunities for the category?
The salty snacks category grew 15% from 2009-14 and is expected to grow an additional 21% from 2014-19, benefiting from the increase in Americans snacking more often. While some remain concerned about the ingredients and nutritional value of salty snacks, others agree healthier options are available. Taste and indulgence are main purchase drivers, highlighting consumers’ desire to treat themselves, despite interest in BFY (better-for-you) snacks. As other food and beverage categories enter the snacking space, manufacturers must promote the unique benefits of their products, including their variety of flavors and formats, convenience, taste, and affordability.
Mintel here provides a comprehensive analysis of the following factors that have the greatest potential to impact the category’s performance:
- Market drivers for the category including understanding consumers’ motivations for purchasing salty snacks and how those motivations differ by snack type.
- The role of health in the category and consumer health concerns related to these products, as well as key product attributes consumers look for when purchasing salty snacks.
- Opportunities for category growth including playing into the snacking and portability trend, and meeting consumer demand for BFY items, while also allowing them to indulge.
- Consumer behaviors and attitudes related to salty snacks, including consumption habits, nutritional concerns, and purchase behavior.
Excluded from this report are chips, including potato chips and tortilla chips, snack nuts, and dips. Chips and dips are covered in Mintel’s Chips, Salsa & Dips – US, January 2015 report.
Take a look inside a sample report
Mintel’s consumer reports deliver insight and expert analysis into key consumer trends and behaviour in your marketplace, in addition to an overview of the market data and key brands. Mintel’s consumer reports provide you with easily digestible information to guide your future innovation and move your business forward.Download now
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.