Sandwich Shop Retailing - UK - January 2010
- The market potential of healthy sandwiches is not being fully exploited. Three in ten sandwich buyers seek out such sandwiches, yet, low fat variants accounted for just 7% of new launches in 2009.
- Starting to provide nutritional information could open a market of nine million people to sandwich shops. Unlike the supermarkets, very few sandwich shops currently offer nutritional information, despite one in four sandwich buyers seeing it as important.
- Sandwiches made on the spot provide a means to attracting the 17m people who prefer on-the-spot to pre-packed ones. Three million affluent consumers would pay more for the former, suggesting a sizeable niche for premium, tailor-made sandwiches.
- Product innovation and new launches are in demand even in the price-focused market: eight million people in this group like to try new ingredients or flavours, including 2.3m 25-34-year-olds.
- Cupcakes, chocolate brownies and other tempting treats could provide a sizeable added revenue stream for sandwich shops: 3.3m 16-34-year-olds buy themselves small treats even when saving money and five million usually buy such added extras at the same shop.
- Meal deals could drive sales among the 16-24-year-olds as 40% of this group say they have cut back on spending on lunch, and are looking out for meal deals.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.