Sanitary Protection and Feminine Supplies - US - May 2012
Women continue to search for reliability, effectiveness and comfort when purchasing sanitary protection and feminine supply products. However, changes in the marketplace including increased trust in private label offerings and a desire by consumers for more open and honest communication is changing the landscape. National brands are finding ways to stand out by targeting younger consumers and using “get real” messaging. Additionally, long-standing feminine care products, such as feminine washes, continue to lose favor and are losing ground in the market.
- The age of the consumer greatly effects what kinds of feminine hygiene products are used and needed. Life cycle products may become important
- National brands such as Always and Tampax continue to lead the market. However, private label brands are shifting market share and their popularity will likely hold steady even as the economy improves
- New tampon products entering the market make claims of being eco-friendly and “free from” chemicals or irritants
- Almost half of respondents to Mintel’s custom consumer survey aged 55+ say that they use sanitary protection products for reasons other than menstruation. As Baby Boomers hit menopause it will be important for brands to market new uses to this population
- Mass merchandisers and club stores enjoy the highest level of sales of sanitary protection and feminine supply products. However, sales at these retailers have declined since 2009
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.