Sexual Health - UK - July 2011
“Many years ago Katherine Hamnett’s T-shirt designs incorporated a small condom pocket – could this return as a design feature, either by way of a condom brand extending into the underwear market or as a special line designed by an underwear company such as Calvin Klein?”
– Michelle Strutton, Senior Consumer Analyst
In this report we answer the key questions:
What are the trends in condom usage?
Where do people buy condoms, and where else would they buy from?
How much of a role does embarrassment play?
How important are older age groups to the market?
Mintel defines contraceptives as including products used for birth control or as prophylactics to prevent sexually transmitted infections in sexual relationships.
Market size data used throughout the report only include sales of condoms through retail outlets bought without the need for a prescription.
- Emergency contraception (ie the morning-after pill) is not included in sales data although this method of contraception is mentioned where relevant.
- Prescription-only contraceptives, such as oral contraceptives (‘the pill’), chemical, other barrier methods (eg diaphragms) and LARCs (long-acting reversible contraceptives) are not included in the sizing of the market, however, this report includes some data and discussion of these methods for the purposes of putting the market in context.
- Other methods of birth control such as sterilisation, vasectomy or natural methods (Persona) are not included in market size but are referred to in order to indicate trends within the market.
All forms of contraception (including condoms and the morning-after pill) are available free on the NHS. No prescription charges are payable for any type of contraception. All forms are available free from family planning clinics and from some GPs.
Value figures throughout the report are estimates at retail selling prices (rsp) unless otherwise stated. Market values at 2011 prices have been calculated using Mintel’s chemists goods deflator.
Crown copyright material is reproduced with the permission of the Controller of HMSO and the Queen’s Printer for Scotland.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.