Shampoo, Conditioners and Styling Products - US - April 2013
“The haircare category is highly saturated and competitive, creating challenges for manufacturers and retailers to encourage increased consumer spending in the category. However, continued improvements in product functionality combined with the emergence of new segments such as anti-aging have the potential to drive future category growth.”
– Shannon Romanowski, Beauty & Personal Care Analyst
Some questions answered in this report include:
- Shampoo has high household penetration, making segment growth challenging. What are the opportunities to drive growth and add meaningful value that will encourage consumers to trade up in the segment?
- Low price was listed as the top influencer when purchasing haircare in 2012. How can manufacturers elevate the perception of haircare and encourage increased spending in the category?
- Natural/botanical is the leading haircare claim and generates high levels of consumer interest. However, consumers aren’t necessarily willing to pay more for natural ingredients. How can the category make natural products a stronger value-added proposition?
The shampoo, conditioner, and styling products market saw modest growth between 2007 and 2012, rising 7% and reaching an estimated $7 billion in sales during that time period. Shampoo and conditioner are the largest segments in the category, and have outperformed the styling products segment in terms of sales growth. Styling product usage is in part dictated by hairstyle trends, which currently are geared toward more effortless and natural styles, potentially impacting use of high hold products like gel or hairspray. While value is important to consumers in the category, private label remains a very small and declining player, as shoppers see a benefit to purchasing branded products.
For the purposes of this report, the shampoo, conditioner, and styling products market has been segmented as follows:
- Shampoo, including anti-dandruff formulas
- Conditioner, including leave-in and rinse-out products
- Hairstyling products including gel, mousse, cream, oil, putty, and other texturizers
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.