Shopping for Plus Size Teens and Women's Clothing - US - November 2011
Due to the staggering levels of overweight and obese Americans, there is a significant amount of the population requiring sizes larger than what is typically considered standard. As a result, there is strong demand for plus size clothing. However, it is still considered a niche market in the U.S. as overweight Americans are less likely than average to spend, and spend at lower levels on clothing. As more consumers become aware of the health risks associated with being overweight or obese, there is a movement to encourage Americans to shift away from this state of being toward a healthier lifestyle. But, a decrease in the number of overweight people in the U.S. is likely to be a very long term trend, and it's doubtful that it will negatively impact this market in the near term.
This report closely examines the variety of factors impacting the plus size teens and women’s’ clothing sector, most notably the prevalence of overweight and obese women in the U.S.
Some of the key issues covered in this report include:
- How obesity rates in the U.S. are driving demand and sales for this category
- How anti-obesity efforts may have a long-term negative impact on the market
- Changes in consumer confidence and its link to apparel purchases
- How plus size retailers and manufacturers are implementing new technology to offer a better fit and additional styles
- An overview of the retail landscape for plus size clothing and consumers’ preferences for different channels
- New retail concepts/brands entering the plus size market
- Social media presence and initiatives among retailers
- Purchasers plus size clothing, retailers shopped and amount spent
- Reasons for not buying plus size clothing
- Attitudes toward shopping for plus size clothing
- Teens attitudes toward plus size clothing
- How race and Hispanic origin impact shopping behavior and attitudes toward plus size clothing
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.