Short Breaks Abroad - UK - May 2010
- Up to half of the adult population are viable short break targets, being consumers who either currently take such holidays, are potential new entrants to the market or are lapsed customers.
- Over seven-in-ten holidaymakers like to visit destinations they haven’t been to before on their short breaks, driving a constant search by operators for new locations, which in turn leads to the ‘long tail’ effect (a few dominant destinations with a ‘long tail’ of progressively more niche options).
- The travel recession of 2009 shrunk this market as each short break-taker took, on average, fewer trips than was the case in previous years.
- Proportionately more short breaks were taken in peak holiday quarters (Q2 and Q3) in 2009. New short break-takers emerged, replacing their main holiday with a cheaper short option.
- There are two well established customer segments for short breaks: young affluent couples and mature affluent couples. These groups are the bedrock of the city break. They are being joined by emerging demand from affluent families and affluent singles.
- Amongst the short break takers, there are two target groups: the Premium Breakers and the Cheap Breakers. The former demand quality, relaxation and escape from the rat race. The latter particularly seek experiences and the opportunity to try something new – while watching the pennies.
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.