Side Dishes - US - June 2009
In many households, side dishes are often an afterthought to the main course. However, in 2008, the segment grew by 10% compared to 2007 as cash-strapped consumers looked for ways to stretch their food dollars and add some variety to the in-home dining experience during tough economic times.
Products that offer convenience and ease of preparation are driving the market as shoppers are seemingly as strapped for time as they are for money. This stems from the fact that frozen side dishes are the fastest growing segment, albeit on a smaller sales basis than some of the other side dish types. Going forward the challenge will be for side dishes to build on the momentum created in 2008 as the segment aims to maintain its slice of the dining pie. Based on Mintel’s exclusive research, this report provides in-depth information on:
- The effects of the recession, dining trends and other external factors that influence the side dish market
- Analysis of product trends, including new product introductions, and consumer attitudes from the perspective of product developers, marketers, and retailers
- Exploration of sales performances of the seven side dish segments, plus an in-depth look at leading manufacturers and brands, including promotional activity
- Investigation of who side dish consumers are and what their perception is of the category
- Insight into which products and brands consumers purchase and how these vary by demographic groups, specifically ethnicity, gender and income
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
Why buy from us?
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.