Social and Media Networks - China - May 2014
“In China, internet penetration was 46% at the end of 2013.The population accessing the internet using mobile phones was approximately 500 million, accounting for 81% of total internet users. The sheer size of China’s internet and mobile population and growth potential provide the foundation for social and media networks to mushroom in China."
– Can Huang, Senior Research Analyst
Some questions answered in this report include:
- What are the current usage levels of the mainstream social and media networks?
- Which activities are most popular on social and media networks?
- How will social and media networks evolve?
- Which social and media networks will be the ‘next big thing’?
- How can brands and companies leverage social and media networks for communication and marketing?
- How will the development of mobile internet impact social and media networks in China?
For this report, social and media networks primarily refer to platforms (websites or apps) for social networking activities online. Based on the end purposes and functionalities, these websites and apps can be split into two types of networks in this report.
Mintel defines social networks as any networks which have person-to-person interaction at the heart of their offering. Some major social network sites in China are:
- Blog style sites, eg Tencent Qzone
- Microblogging sites, eg Sina Weibo, Tencent Weibo. “Weibo” itself is used to describe microblogging sites in general.
- Mobile social/messaging apps, eg Wechat (Weixin in Chinese), LINE, Laiwang
- Social networking sites (SNS), eg Renren, Kaixin001
- Vertical SNS (networks focusing on one or few areas with speciality), including professional networking sites such as LinkedIn and dating sites such as Jiayuan, Baihe, and Zhenai
Media networks are networks that facilitate person-to-person communication either through the sharing of media, or with a thematic focus on media (such as books, films or games). Some major media network sites in China are:
- Video streaming sites, eg Youku and Tudou
- Entertainment reviewing sites, eg Douban Web-gaming sites, eg 51.com
- Light-blogging sites (a more light-weighted service than microblogging services, and normally having easy sharing of photos/videos at its core), eg Tumblr, Diandian, LOFTER
Social networking platforms which cannot be accessed within mainland China officially, such as Facebook, YouTube, Google+ and Twitter, are not included in the main discussions and market data, but may be mentioned to provide contextual or comparative information.
Take a look inside a sample report
Mintel’s consumer reports deliver insight and expert analysis into key consumer trends and behaviour in your marketplace, in addition to an overview of the market data and key brands. Mintel’s consumer reports provide you with easily digestible information to guide your future innovation and move your business forward.Download now
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.