Social Networking - US - February 2010
Online social networking is expanding. In December 2009, there were 248 million unique monthly users on the top eight social networking sites (SNS) in the US, an increase of 41% from January 2009. Mintel finds that 61% of internet users have a profile on at least one SNS, up from 41% a year before. Marketing spend on SNS increased 166% from 2007, reaching $2.4 billion in 2009, and becoming an increasingly important way to reach a young, often hard to reach audience.
In this report, the following issues are explored:
- Which demographic groups has market expansion come from, and what does this mean for the future of the market
- How many friends and contacts does the average user have on his or her most used SNS, and which demographics tend to be the most “connected”
- How is hardware access changing the use of SNS
- Which are the most popular SNS
- How has the ranking of popularity between sites changed in the last year and why
- Which sites appeal to different demographics by gender, age, household income, and race/Hispanic origin, and why
- Which sites are profitable, and which are monetized at all? How can SNS become profitable, which sites already are, and how can marketers profit from them
- What are “apps” and how can they help your company
- How are sites used in terms of viral marketing of brands and media? How does demographic data factor into viral pass through
- What is the role of self-promotion and self-expression in the future of social networking
- What different types of advertising are there on SNS, and what are the best ways to utilize them? Who is likely to be reached and impacted by different types of promotions? What are the best ways for marketers to use Twitter, Facebook, MySpace and other sites
- Who is using below-the-line marketing effectively, and what can be learned from successful examples
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.