Soup - US - April 2012
Recession-inspired frugality resulting in changing consumer purchase habits has conspired to soften sales in the $6.4 billion soup industry. After sales declines in prior years, the category showed minimal growth between 2010 and 2011, with sales essentially flat.
In spite of this challenging market, manufacturers have invested capital and Research and Development (R&D) resources to bring market offerings into line with consumers’ needs and desires. Some of the initiatives include introducing more trendy soup flavors and new products to expand consumers’ use of soup beyond “winter comfort food” and more toward meal-preparation solutions.
This report provides an in-depth look at the soup market, including:
- How the market is broadening and how future growth will hinge on global and regional flavor profiles, soup as an ingredient, and expanded premium offerings
- The future impact on the market of aging Baby Boomers and the increased emphasis on childhood obesity and its health implications
- How inertia, as well as new product innovation, is impacting sales trends for the category as a whole and in each of its segments, plus growth forecasts through 2016
- An assessment of which brands are gaining, which are losing, and why, as well as the relevant trends of private label soup performance within the market
- Insight into new product launches and how product claims compare to consumers’ interests and desires
- Evaluation of TV ads, as well as online and digital promotional efforts
- Insights from Mintel’s consumer research into the attitudes and behaviors of soup consumers, including purchase decision criteria, brand preference factors, flavor preferences, and more
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.