Soup - US - April 2014
“Although more than eight in 10 respondents agree that soup is a healthy meal option, many also agree that prepackaged soup contains too much sodium and too many artificial ingredients and preservatives. Brands should work to equate wholesome ingredients with nutrition and flavor, and deemphasize low sodium content because it may deter some who perceive low sodium to mean low flavor. Spotlighting other spices with bold flavor and potential health benefits, such as curry or rosemary, may also help take the focus off of low salt content.”
– Amy Kraushaar, US Food and Drink Category Manager
Some questions answered in this report include:
- Can brands extend wholesome image to a healthy image?
- Can brands convert buyers from homemade to store-bought soups?
- Can soup be better positioned as a snack food?
The US soup market is forecast to grow slowly between 2013 and 2018, even though the slow economic rebound is forcing many recession-impacted consumers to seek out affordable meal solutions when household budgets do not allow for dining out or extravagant home-cooked meals. However, flavor, health, and convenience innovations should help drive sales in the coming years. Households with children remain an important demographic for marketers, although the percentage of households with children continues to decline. Brands may experience a bright spot in the quickly growing Hispanic and Asian populations between 2009 and 2019, as these groups report more likelihood than other racial/ethnic groups to buy soup for the household.
For the purposes of this report, Mintel has used the following definitions:
This report builds on the analysis in Mintel’s Soup – US, April 2013, as well as the April 2012, January 2011, January 2010, January 2008, September 2007, and June 2006 reports of the same title. For the purposes of this report, soup is covered as per the following definitions:
- RTS wet soup – canned or refrigerated soup that does not require additional ingredients
- Condensed wet soup – soup that can be used as is in recipes or needs to have water or milk added to use as traditional soup
- Dry soup mixes – dehydrated and requiring the addition of water to cook; most of these require simmering, although some are instant and need only be stirred. Includes bouillon and ramen noodle soup mixes
- RTS broth – flavored water with some form of meat, fish, or vegetable; used as a base for soups and sauces
- Refrigerated soup – soup that must be refrigerated to maintain freshness and heated to serve, but no added ingredients
- Frozen soup – soup that requires thawing and heating, but no added ingredients. Excluded from this report are restaurant or foodservice sales.
Take a look inside a sample report
Mintel’s consumer reports deliver insight and expert analysis into key consumer trends and behaviour in your marketplace, in addition to an overview of the market data and key brands. Mintel’s consumer reports provide you with easily digestible information to guide your future innovation and move your business forward.Download now
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.