Soup - US - January 2011
After several years of modest gains, soup sales turned negative in 2009 and 2010. Increasing concern over the health risks of sodium and growing awareness of soup’s generally high sodium content have robbed the category of its positive momentum and tarnished soup’s longstanding reputation as hearty and wholesome “good food.” Marketers’ significant efforts to reduce sodium levels and to promote the category heavily have so far failed to reinvigorate the category.
This report provides an in-depth view of recent developments and trends in the soup category, including:
- Analysis of sales and market share results for the total soup category and all its segments, plus sales forecasts through 2015
- An examination of the increasing influence of private-label soup
- An assessment of Campbell’s and Progresso’s recent substantial advertising and marketing initiatives intended to put the category back on a growth track
- Insights and ideas for what else marketers and retailers could be doing to boost sales
- Analysis of recent soup category new product activity and trends, and examples from innovators in the areas of natural/organic, health, and new flavor experiences
- Mintel’s exclusive consumer research into the attitudes and behaviors of soup consumers and shoppers
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.