Spirits/Mixed Drink - Canada - December 2016
"Mintel forecasts spirits sales to grow over the next five years with whisky and gin having led the charge in recent years. This growth has occurred as consumers look forward to innovation while also harkening to past eras for inspiration, such as the early 1960s serving as the milieu for earlier Mad Men episodes where Madison Avenue ‘ad execs’ stimulated their creative minds with a glass of Crown Royal whisky.
Much has also been written about the emergence of artisanal spirits, particularly under the umbrella of craft beer’s success. True, craft spirits are on the rise, yet while manufacturers should consider strategies to leverage what looks to be a growth opportunity, perspective is required. By comparison a relatively small share of Canadians factor in attributes related to artisanal craftsmanship in their choices of spirits. Rather, consumers seem more invested in considerations around flavour and brand. As such, as this Report recommends, artisanal claims should be tied to benefits around taste in order to engender broader appeal among Canada’s consumer base."
- Joel Gregoire, Senior Food & Drink Analyst
This report discusses the following key topics:
- Aging population can adversely impact category growth
- ‘Small batch’ offerings low on list of purchase influences
For the purposes of this Report, Mintel has used the following definitions for spirits in soliciting consumer feedback and in collected market size data which includes value and volume sales at retail:
Definition of spirits for consumer feedback:
- Unflavoured vodka (eg Smirnoff, Absolut, Grey Goose)
- Flavoured vodka (eg fruity, savoury).
- White/light rum (eg Bacardi Silver)
- Flavoured rum (eg fruity, savoury)
- Dark/black/golden/amber rum (eg Gosling’s Back Seal Rum, Bacardi Gold)
- Spiced rum (eg Bacardi Oakheart).
- Bourbon/American whiskey (eg Jack Daniel’s, Jim Beam, Blanton’s Original)
- Scotch whisky blends (eg Johnnie Walker, Ballantine’s, Chivas Regal)
- Scotch single malts (eg Glenlivet, Glenfiddich, Balvenie)
- Canadian whisky (Crown Royal, Crown Royal Apple/Maple, Canadian Club)
- Cognac (eg Martell, Hennessy)/brandy (eg E&J Gallo)
- Tequila (eg Herradura, Patrón).
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.