Stevia and Other Natural Sweeteners - US - August 2009
The all-natural, zero-calorie sweetener market is in its infancy, relatively speaking. Since 1995, stevia, has only been permitted for sale in the US as a dietary supplement, not a sweetener. But in December 2008, the FDA approved rebaudioside A (Reb A) for sale in food and beverages, which will dramatically change the landscape of the stevia, and low/no calorie sweetener market.
This report discusses how legislative changes, consumer trends, the economy and product innovation are shaping the stevia market. In addition to presenting sales data by segment, supplier and brand, the report considers a range of topics, including:
- Why growth in the Truvia and PureVia segment will likely hinder sales of whole plant stevia extracts
- Whether or not stevia’s all-natural positioning really matters to consumers in a market where taste is king
- A spotlight on two brands, Truvia and PureVia, that have just launched in 2009 as both tabletop sweeteners, and as part of several beverage products from Coca-Cola and PepsiCo
- How brands are using advertising to introduce stevia to the market, what they’re emphasizing and de-emphasizing, as well as how they’re distinguishing themselves from their competition
- The latest trends in product innovation, across food and beverages, and personal care categories
- Consumer usage, behavior and attitudes towards stevia, xylitol, and erythritol, as well as artificial sweeteners, based on Mintel’s own custom survey conducted in May-June 2009
What you get
This market report provides in-depth analysis and insight supported by a range of data. At the same time, introductory and top-level content is provided to give you an overview of the issues covered.
Mintel provides a range of market information, frequently through the category level, including market size and forecasting, complete with market drivers that illustrate the forces that shape a category or market.
Mintel's proprietary consumer research provides our analysts with the attitudinal and behavioral data used to provide valuable insight to topical issues.
Mintel provides overviews of the top brands and manufacturers, and uses consumer research to explore attitudes and reactions to brands, as well as insight into what will resonate with consumers.
Market reports provide appendices of data to support the research and insight produced. Our tables of data are easily manipulated and downloadable to support your research needs and covers factors from consumer attitudes to market forecasts.
* This is a sample representation of the report layout and does not reflect the research included in this report.
Why buy from us?
Our reports will provide you with market data, consumer research and competitive intelligence to succeed in your market.
Buy now and you'll have instant access to the information you need to make the right decisions.
Find out what's next in the markets that matter to you: where opportunities lie and what challenges you will face.
A business Superbrand, Mintel is a source you can trust. We have been defining and refining the Market Intelligence mix since 1972.